Be a part of the technology team which builds and maintains the public website, nypl.org, along with digital library applications for one of the largest and leading public libraries in the world. The NYPL Technology team is seeking a talented web developer who can help us build an amazing online presence for millions of library users and translate our vision into maintainable, high performing, and scalable software solutions through the use of stellar software engineering practices.
Reporting to the Manager of Applications Development, the Senior Developer will:
- Design and implement scalable, optimized, and maintainable database driven web applications.
- Collaborate with a larger team which includes product owners/managers, systems engineers, database administrators, user-interface and information architecture experts to create new and innovative online experiences for our users.
- Design and Build APIs in order to extend our rich content and information to global audiences.
- Employ object-oriented analysis and design techniques including use case analysis, object modeling, and database schema design to ensure business requirements are implemented.
- Develop applications to NYPL coding standards and quality.
- Create technical documentation and specifications.
- Assume additional responsibilities as required by the organization.
- Customer Service
- Technology skills and adaptability to new technology
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with content management systems.
- Demonstrated experience building web applications in Ruby, PHP, or Java using a framework such as Rails, Symfony, Spring, etc.
- 4+ years in web application development.
- 3+ years in Drupal Development 6 and/or 7.
- Expert level HTML and CSS skills.
- Highly proficient in PHP.
- Proficiency in SQL and relational database such as mySQL, Postgres, etc.
- Experience working with a Version Control System such as Git or SVN
- Familiarity with Ruby or Java.
- Familiarity with Scrum software development framework.
- Familiarity with Test Driven Development.
- Understand object-oriented design and programming techniques.
- Understand all stages in the software development life-cycle: Requirements gathering, Design, Development, Testing, and Implementation.
- Demonstrated analytical and creative problem solving.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to work independently as well as with other staff, departments and teams.
- Apache Lucene/Solr
- Experience with AWS platform (EC2, RDS, etc)
- Demonstrated experience with NoSQL data sources
- Familiarity with digital library technologies and standards.
- Familiarity with library metadata standards (MODS, MARCXML, Dublin Core, etc)
For more information and to apply visit: https://jobs-nypl.icims.com/jobs/7784/senior-applications-developer/job?mobile=false&width=960&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false