This post is part of a series authored by DLF’s working group leaders to acquaint you with their work, and how you can get involved, leading up to the 2023 DLF Forum.
Though the annual Forum is DLF’s signature event, our working groups collaborate year round. DLF’s working groups organize across institutional and geographical boundaries to collaborate and get stuff done. Working group participation is open to anyone interested in getting involved, regardless of whether or not you work or study at a DLF member organization.
Attending the 2023 DLF Forum and interested in DEIA initiatives? Enroll in the Learn@DLF workshop Measuring Equity and Inclusion in Open Access and Open Science, and don’t miss sessions Tu23 (Diversifying Digital Literacy Through Access and Inclusion) and W07 (Digital Archives for Equity, Justice, and Preservation: Empowering Voices and Enriching Histories).
DLF Committee for Equity and Inclusion: Who We Are, and How to Get Involved
Are you interested in building and supporting inclusive, diverse, and equitable practices for Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums (GLAMs)? If so, please consider getting involved in the Digital Library Federation Committee for Equity and Inclusion (CEI). The CEI is a supportive and collaborative community that shares resources and information about DEI issues affecting GLAMs.
The CEI meets year-round to provide support for DLF events, including the DLF Forum in the fall, and serves as a community of practice around important issues pertaining to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). The CEI is led by the Admin Group and comprises standing sub-groups and short-term project groups. Standing sub-groups focus on broader diversity issues within GLAM whereas project groups respond to the immediate needs of the DLF Forum or to create resources such as webinars and toolkits.
Currently, there are three active Sub-Groups. Here are some examples of their recent initiatives:
- GLAM Diversity Subgroup – authored a report on DEI Efforts Across GLAM Organizations (2023) providing an analysis and summary of survey responses regarding DEI activities at GLAMs.
- Inclusivity at the DLF Forum Subgroup – updated the DLF Code of Conduct (2023), Accessible In-Person Presentations Guidelines (2022), Accessible and Interactive Online Presentations (2020), and Active Bystander Orientation (2019).
- Wiki Subgroup – updated the DLF CEI wiki homepage and sub-pages, which provide information on CEI’s governance, initiatives, sub-group charges, and historical background.
As the CEI continues expanding on its critical and timely work, it will greatly benefit from increased participation from colleagues across all GLAM sectors. Here are a few ways to get involved:
- Attend a monthly committee meeting to discuss current projects and learn about DEI initiatives across the field.
- Join a sub-group or the Admin Group to shape the work of the CEI. For further information, please consult CEI’s On-boarding wiki.
- Contribute to the Zotero reading list to make DEI resources more widely available.
- Join the Google Group to stay tuned on upcoming meeting dates and to access the meeting agendas and notes.
Please consult the CEI Wiki to learn more about the CEI and to stay updated on its work and feel free to email members of the Admin Group with any inquiries or suggestions. The CEI encourages you and your colleagues to consider being a part of this exciting and innovative community as we aim to foster DEI across GLAM institutions.