Digital Initiative Librarian / Assistant Professor, Idaho State University
Posting Number: req209
12 Month Full-Time
Supports digital scholarship initiatives including: providing assistance in the digitization of special collections, managing existing digital library services, and informing the creation of new digital services. Reporting to the Head of Collection Management, the Digital Initiatives Librarian works with staff and faculty throughout the library to provide innovative digital library services.
- Manage and coordinate digital library projects among faculty, librarians, and staff; develop project plans, general project documentation, specifications, workflows, and timelines for successful completion of digital library projects.
- Supervise a classified and professional staff of 3 FTE to support library technology including workstations, servers, and other technology.
- Lead staff in the identification of digital resource needs and solutions.
- Identify and lead new digital initiatives.
- Assist with staff training related to digital collections and technologies.
- Develop and implement new digital library services in partnership with staff across the libraries such as mobile applications or cloud based integrated library systems.
- Formulate policies, procedures and best practices for the production, management, and preservation of digital content and metadata, technical workflow, quality control, and associated intellectual property issues.
- Assist in setting up new collections or content in the various service areas including institutional repository and digital archives; assist in improving workflows for these services as needed.
- Provide technical expertise in digital applications and lead the evaluation and implementation of technologies related to the management and dissemination of digital content, e.g. digital asset management system, institutional repository, and online exhibition tools.
- Leverage technical skills in managing content migration, sharing collections with aggregators, improving and normalizing encoding and descriptive practices.
- Engage with and stay current on digital trends, technologies, and industry standards to provide direction and leadership for the library in the rapidly changing digital environment.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of the identification, assessment, and implementation of emerging technologies that strategically advance the Library’s mission.
- Contribute to the campus discussion about digital initiatives and information.
- Participates in reference desk duty.
- Assists faculty, students, staff and other users on a one-on-one basis by answering specific information requests, offering research assistance and guiding users in the effective use of a broad range of information resources offered by the Library.
- Serves as a bibliographer to designated academic departments and oversees the selection of materials in assigned subject areas.
- Assists in collection development and evaluation; monitors pertinent portions of the acquisitions budget; works to develop and maintain good relations with faculty members.
- Participates in professional activities, including university and library committees and task forces, and attends professional meetings.
- Participates in the Library’s instruction program.
- M.L.S., M.L.I.S. or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited program by date of hire
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate and manage existing digital library projects
- Demonstrated knowledge or awareness of tools and technology standards typically used in digital library environments
- Demonstrated experience with multiple computer platforms including UNIX/Linux, and Windows and associated hardware.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated good organizational skills and an aptitude for analytical and detailed work
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a complex, rapidly changing and professionally diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in library faculty activities as needed such as public services, instruction, bibliography, and library committee work.
- Demonstrated ability to represent the Library to appropriate campus units, to participate in professional activities and committee assignments within the Library and on campus, and to participate in local, regional, and national outreach and professional activities.
- Demonstrated experience with relational databases such as SQL, MySQL, SOLR AND MSAccess.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of metadata and content standards i.e., MARC, EAD, Dublin Core, and AACR2, etc.
- Familiarity with of digital objects in various formats (text, image, audio and/or video) and best practices and standards associated with each format
- Demonstrated experience with markup languages such as HTML and XML; style sheets such as CSS and XSL; and other XML-related technologies
- Familiarity with wireless technology
- Familiarity with Windows and Linux server configuration and maintenance.
- Demonstrated track record developing and implementing user-centered digital projects.
- Familiarity with cloud based computing
- Familiarity with digital repositories, online publishing platforms and content management systems.
- Familiarity with programming and application creation for mobile environments
- Familiarity with advanced XML-related technologies such as XSLT, XQuery
- Familiarity with academic library cataloging practices and procedures
- Familiarity with Resource Description Framework, and related technologies
- Supervisory experience
Apply online at: careers.isu.edu
Please submit the following documents with your application:
Curriculum vitae, Letter of application that addresses job requirements, list of references. Position will remain open until filled.
Hiring is done without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age or disability. In addition, preference may be given to veterans who qualify under state and federal laws and regulations. If you need special accommodations to satisfy testing requirements, please contact the Division of Human Resources.