Digital Architect & Infrastructure Librarian, The University of Miami Libraries
The University of Miami Libraries seeks applications for a collaborative and innovative Digital Infrastructure Librarian. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Digital Strategies and working within a growing digital strategies team, the Digital Infrastructure Librarian, a newly defined position in the UM Libraries, will manage the current systems and technical workflows that support the digital library infrastructure. The UM Libraries are undertaking a review of our current infrastructure (principally made up of CONTENTdm, Digital Commons, Archon, Omeka, Kaltura, and homegrown web exhibits). This position will play a critical role in leading the evaluation, as well as the work to design and implement systems and workflows that will better serve our users and allow us to better leverage and support emerging technologies and standards. The Digital Infrastructure Librarian will work closely with the Web and Application Development team, the Head of Digital Production and staff, special collections curators, Cataloging and Metadata Services, and other library staff integrally involved in our digital infrastructure and content.
The University of Miami is one of the nation’s leading research universities in a community of extraordinary diversity and international vitality. The University is privately supported, non-sectarian institution, located in Coral Gables, Florida, on a 260-acre subtropical campus. The University comprises 11 degree granting schools and colleges, including Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Communication, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Marine and Atmospheric Science.
The University of Miami Libraries rank among the top 50 research libraries in North America with a collection of 3.6 million volumes including 771,000 ebooks, and 92,958 current serials titles including 90,550 electronic journals. The Otto G. Richter Library lies in the center of the Coral Gables campus and serves as the central library for the University. Other University of Miami libraries include the Paul Buisson Architecture Library, the Judi Prokop Newman Business Information Resource Center, the Marta & Austin Weeks Music Library, and the Marine and Atmospheric Science Library. The University also has independent medical and law libraries. The Libraries provide support and services for approximately 10,370 undergraduates, 5,259 graduate students, and 13,058 full and part time faculty and staff. Excluding the independent libraries, the University Libraries employ 56 professional and 90 support staff and are a member of ARL, CNI, ASERL, CLIR, NERL, OCLC Research Library Partners, SEFLIN, IFLA, IATUL, HathiTrust, APTrust, DPN, and Lyrasis.
Duties & Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- In close collaboration with the Web and Application Development unit and Systems Administrator, manage the overall architecture of the digital library infrastructure.
- Work with the Head of Digital Production, the Digital Initiatives Metadata Librarian, and the Systems Librarian to ensure robust workflows for ingest, management, preservation, and access to digital content.
- Lead a team to assess the current infrastructure through appropriate assessment tools, gather user stories (requirements) from curators, digital production staff, users, and others, and make recommendations for changes in the infrastructure.
- Dependent on recommendations, lead a team to develop specifications for changes in the infrastructure.
- Serve as the product owner for any infrastructure development or implementation of a vended system, including, actively participating in development process through provision of feedback and testing, and serving as the communication channel between the users and the development team.
- Develop migration strategies for content as needed.
- Write and maintain documentation in collaboration with other staff as appropriate.
- Continue assessment of infrastructure and workflows.
- Maintain familiarity with national and international best practices, established and emerging technologies, and applications in the digital library sphere.
- Supervise and manage staff as needed.
- Network, collaborate, and actively participate in local, regional, national, and/or international organizations regarding digital library issues;
- Represent and promote the University of Miami Libraries in local, state-wide, regional, national, or international organizations, as appropriate; and
- Serve on/participate in Libraries and University organizations, committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate.
- An ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree and 2 years experience working with digital library systems or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working experience with at least two digital library systems (such as CONTENTdm, DSpace, Omeka, etc.).
- Familiarity with current and emerging trends in digital library technologies and infrastructure.
- A good understanding of current trends in metadata and digital preservation.
- Experience working with a team of developers.
- Demonstrated project management, organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to user-centered service and the ability to work flexibly and creatively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally diverse population.
- Evidence of capacity for professional development, involvement, and contribution.
- Knowledge of one or more programming languages.
- Experience in developing and leading new services and programs for multidisciplinary set of stakeholders.
- Experience working in an agile or semi-agile environment.
- Knowledge of data issues in the research/knowledge creation lifecycle.
Salary & Benefits
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a non-tenure track faculty appointment at the Librarian Assistant or Associate Professor rank. The position offers a comprehensive benefits package including: TIAA-CREF; medical and dental insurance; life, disability, and long-term care insurance available; tuition remission; 13 paid holidays; and 22 days annual vacation. Additional employment benefits available include credit union; Employee Assistance Program; bookstore, and sporting event discounts; optional fee-based membership in a state-of-the-art wellness center, and no state or local income taxes.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted electronically and must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the names of three references. Send nominations and applications to:
Human Resources Manager
University of Miami Libraries
P.O. Box 248214
Coral Gables, FL 33124-0320
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The University has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.