Temporary Programmer Analyst, University of California, Irvine
Temporary Programmer Analyst (3 months, telecommute OK)
Under the general supervision of the Digital Project Specialist, the developer will explore, adapt and support library information technologies to improve UCI Data Portal @ the Libraries, a UCI-specific instance of research data sharing software developed by the California Digital Library (CDL).
Plans, designs and implements code to add following functionality to existing system:geographic metadata entry interface, geographic browsing interface, Distinct XSLT & CSS-driven “view” centered on local datasets.
Works with staff at UCI Libraries and CDL to integrate code with GitHub codebase and create work and procedure documentation.
Job Essential Function 1
Percent of Time: 90%
Explore, adapt and support library information technologies to improve UCI Data Portal @ the Libraries.
- Communicate with technical and non-technical users to determine requirements.
- Plan, design and implement components to fulfill requirements.
- Integrate and test components with CDL s Dash codebase on GitHub.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other staff in the UCI Libraries and system-wide as appropriate.
- Create and maintain work and procedure documentation.
Job Essential Function 2
Percent of Time: 10%
- Manage workflow to prevent backogs and meet all set expectations and deadlines.
- Resolve routine problems, identify and refer complex problems to supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Proven experience with XML and XML-related technologies such as XSLT, XGML/XML/XSL.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with servlet/page management software such as Apache Tomcat
- Experience accessing and manipulating REST-based web services.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to non-technical colleagues and users.
- Ability to draft and maintain clear documentation.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Skill to adapt to change and balance work priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Knowledge of geospatial and mapping concepts such as spatial analysis, map projections etc.
- Experience with geomapping software such as ArcGIS, Google Maps, Leaflet etc.
- Experience working with source code version control such as Git/code repositories such as GitHub.
- Experience writing code to interact with external APIs.
- Familiarity with: Java, Perl, Python.
- Familiarity with authentication systems such as Shibboleth or UCI s WebAuth.
Telecommuting is an option for this position.
Salary: Hourly $25.01
Work Schedule: TBD
Limited Appt Position, 43%
Final candidate subject to background check.
Candidates must be U.S. Citizen/U.S. resident and eligible to work in U.S. As a federal contractor, UC Irvine is required to use E-Verify to confirm the work status of individuals assigned to perform substantial work under certain federal contracts/subcontracts.
To see full job description/requirements and apply (by July 1, 2014):
- Visit jobs.uci.edu
- Click “Job Listings”
- Search by Job Number 2014-0511