Interested applicants need to apply online via Northwestern University’s eRecruit web site, referencing the Job Opening IDs 23978, 24006, or 24165 (three-year term) at: http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/careers/
This is an exciting opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies at Northwestern University Library!
Check out our video (it is 2 years old, but the sentiment remains): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUJGcJpXQYQ
Three software developer positions are now available at Northwestern University Library. Two of the positions focus on a variety of projects, including our open source Ruby on Rails-based Hydra and Fedora-based digital repository, scholarly development projects, and catalog/search systems. We also have a three-year term position focusing primarily on development of the Hydra-based Avalon Media System for audio and video access and discovery http://www.avalonmediasystem.org/. These positions will develop, code, test, and debug software (new and existing)—particularly in the areas of library digital preservation, metadata, collections, discovery, scholarly projects, and repository services. They will typically work with senior staff, but may coordinate some projects independently. They will also design and implement basic technical solutions ensuring that business needs and requirements are met.
- Bachelor’s degree or 2 years relevant experience for intermediate level, 4+ years experience considered a senior level.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related field.
- Prior development experience with workflow software.
- Familiarity with authentication/credential systems such as Shibboleth, Active Directory, and/or LDAP.
- Experience with Library metadata standards such as METS, MODS, MARC, PREMIS, MIX, and/or Dublin Core.
- Knowledge of various types of audio, video, image, text, and other media formats.
- Experience with database technologies (such as MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, and the SQL language) on enterprise level systems.
- Knowledge of MVC web development frameworks, particularly Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with repository software (such as DSpace, Greenstone, or Fedora).
- Current or prior involvement with open source software project(s), as either code contributor or maintainer.
- Experience with Library IT or IT in a higher education environment.
For more information, interested applicants can view the full job description via Northwestern University’s eRecruit web site, referencing Job Opening IDs 23978, 24006, or 24165 (three-year term) at: http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/careers/