Senior Software Developer and Systems Engineer, James Madison University
James Madison University’s Center for Instructional Technology (CIT) is currently seeking a full-time Senior Software Developer and Systems Engineer to join its R&D team. The successful candidate will develop, manage and integrate robust instructional software applications in a mixed operating system environment. The successful candidate will also set up and administer software applications, databases and Windows and Linux servers.
For the full job posting, please visit:
Posting date: 04-16-2014
Review date: 05-18-2014
Duties and responsibilities of the Senior Software Developer and Systems Engineer include:
- Develop custom software and integrate applications with existing systems.
- Configure, deploy and administer applications, databases and servers.
- Share development responsibilities for MDID, an open source repository, and other applications.
- Administer, support and customize CIT’s WordPress installations.
- Work on a team to integrate JMU’s learning management system (Canvas) with other JMU and CIT systems.
- Consult with key faculty and staff to inform development efforts.
- Support CIT’s open source initiatives.
- Excellent command of a modern programming language.
- Familiar with relational databases and server operating systems.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or comparable experience.
- Experience working on a large software development project.
- Experience with frameworks such as Django and jQuery.
- Experience with publishing platforms such WordPress and Omeka.
- Experience with revision control systems such as GitHub.
- Experience with learning management systems.
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance searching or applying for jobs please contact us at (540) 568-6728 or email@example.com. You may also visit the JMU Human Resource Office, located at 752 Ott Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 and we will be happy to assist you.
James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.
Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.