The National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) Library in Boulder, CO is seeking a Library Systems Administrator to manage the operational online library systems that underpin the NCAR Library, National Science Digital Library (NSDL) and Digital Library for Earth Science Education (DLESE). Position open until November 10, 2011.
Full position description, qualification requirements and application
process are available at: http://tinyurl.com/3h47myp
BASIC JOB FUNCTION: Manages the operational online library systems that underpin the NCAR Library, National Science Digital Library (NSDL) and Digital Library for Earth Science Education (DLESE). The online systems are a combination of SaaS on the cloud and deployed open source applications on virtual server environments at both a cloud vendor and on-site data center. Works with librarian and archives staff to support their daily use of these systems and identifies new needs. Also manages the desktop environment and associated networked equipment in offices and our two onsite libraries.
Administrator is part of a small group that works in a collaborative team environment with a high regard for providing excellence in design, operations and end user experience and is responsible for multiple program systems services.
- Manages Primary Systems.
- Manages operations for library systems deployed on a mix of NCAR data center servers, on cloud servers and with with SaaS vendors. Systems include, but are not limited to, Integrated Library System – ILS (Koha), OpenURL link resolver (SFX), archives management (Archon) and a suite of Java-based applications developed for the institutional repository, DLESE and NSDL. Manages and administers virtual machines at a cloud provider running Linux operating system and configures and documents application deployment procedures, maintenance procedures and institute monitoring procedures for performance and security. Works with application technical leads to manage development and staging workflows. Manages relationships with external cloud and SaaS vendors and internal NCAR data center IT personnel to maintain smooth operations. Supervises a Systems Administrator and is responsible for multiple program services in support of these operations.
- Integrated Library System (ILS), Cataloging, Helpdesk and Communications Support.
- Manages and administers basic configuration of the integrated library system (ILS), OpenURL link resolver and other cataloging systems, help-desk system and group wiki’s and email lists and provides technical support to library staff who use these systems for their day-to-day duties. Manages and documents configuration for interoperability with other library services using OAI-PMH and search protocols such as Z39.50 and with other internal services such as institutional single-sign-on. Working with other library staff, leads the technical analysis and testing of prospective new library and archival services (including digitization) and databases. Performs ad hoc scripting and data migration tasks to support archives and institutional repository staff.
- Office and Library Desktop Infrastructure.
- Manages and administer local office and physical library desktop infrastructure (primarily windows-based) and peripherals and local group servers (Linux) used for file-sharing, backup and application development. This includes directing the work of the group’s system administration staff in carrying out these duties and coordinating with IT staff in other UCAR IT divisions who manage central services (e.g. single sign on, windows network, wiki, staff email and email lists). Responsible for planning and supervising procurement, testing and deployment of group desktop infrastructure, hardware and software.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or Information Science; and
five years of experience in information systems in a library setting; or
an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to plan, manage and document technology deployment projects.
- Demonstrated experience administering Linux and windows operating systems, managing authentication and monitoring for performance and security.
- Experience with virtual server configuration/management in cloud environments, monitoring and security procedures, as well as backup policies and DNS management.
- Demonstrated experience deploying web applications (with preference for Java based and php based) and use of code versioning systems.
- Demonstrated experience of Apache configuration and Tomcat web application server configuration.
- Demonstrated experience of administering and optimizing relational databases (MySQL preferred).
- Demonstrated knowledge of common library interoperability protocols (OAI, Z39.50, SRU), metadata frameworks (e.g. MARC and Dublin Core) and web services (service oriented architecture).
- Familiarity with XML and XML Schemas.
- Experience of managing library systems: Integrated Library System (Koha preferred), OpenURL, link resolver (SFX preferred) and EZproxy.
Boulder, CO US