Join our team! DLF Program Assistant for Conferences and Events
We are excited to announce an open position at the DLF! We’re hiring for a brand-new role: DLF Program Assistant for Conferences and Events. This person will join our team to work closely with colleagues at CLIR and DLF along with volunteer program committee members from our community, to help make our annual DLF Forum–as well as other national and regional DLF events–a great success.
The DLF Forum is our signature event. Each year, we are inspired by and in awe of the collaborative, collegial work of the DLF community on display there. We are thrilled to expand our own little team as we strive to create and support inclusive, diverse, and equitable communities of digital library practice. To that end, we are particularly interested in applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Please read on for more information about the position and application details! If you have any questions, please contact Team DLF–Bethany, Becca, and Katherine–at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DLF Program Assistant for Conferences and Events
The Digital Library Federation seeks an enterprising and organized event planner to support the vibrant CLIR/DLF practitioner community and meetings that engage our member organizations, which include libraries, museums, publishers, government agencies, nonprofits, and more.
This position will center around development, planning, implementation, and follow-up for our signature conference, the DLF Forum, as well as other national and regional CLIR and DLF meetings and events. Responsibilities include:
- Effectively and efficiently organizing the planning and logistics of small events and large conferences
- Working with various volunteer committees involved in program planning, to help them achieve their goals and objectives
- Scouting for meeting spaces, negotiating with venues, and finalizing contracts
- Serving as primary contact person for vendors, including hotel, catering, childcare, and audio-visual services
- Tracking finances and collecting payments as well as monitoring registration activity and hotel pick-up
- Overseeing materials and supplies needed for events, including keeping a running inventory prior to major events
- Marketing events and communicating professionally with attendees
- Assisting with related administrative duties as assigned.
This is a full-time position based at the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR), with excellent benefits that include full health coverage, liberal leave and other employment policies, support for professional development, and a very generous retirement plan. Salary is commensurate with experience (with anticipated ranges starting at $58,000 per annum).
Preference will be given to candidates who can work at least part time in CLIR’s Washington, D.C. offices, but remote working arrangements are possible. Review of applications will begin immediately, with a desired start-date in early 2018.
- Detail oriented and able to manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects and tasks
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills and proven ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Experience in program coordination, conference planning and/or event planning
- Excellent computer skills and experience with administrative work, including familiarity with website, e-commerce, and content management systems (such as WordPress, PayPal/Stripe, Sched) or proven ability to learn quickly
- Excellent writing and proofreading/editing skills
- Ability and willingness to travel several times per year.
- Proven ability to work with meeting site personnel, caterers, and other service providers
- Formal credentials or desire for professional development in hospitality services and event planning
- Desire to learn about and contribute to the digital library community
The Digital Library Federation (www.diglib.org) is a member organization established in 1995 as a program of CLIR: www.clir.org. DLF’s mission is to advance research, learning, social justice, and the public good through the creative design and wise application of digital library technologies. CLIR is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity. We especially encourage applications to this position by people of color and members of other under-represented groups.
To apply, please send a cover letter and a resume or CV in a single PDF document to email@example.com, with the subject line “DLF Program Assistant application.”