The Library Information Technology (LIT) division provides comprehensive technology support and guidance for the University of Michigan Library system, including hosting digital library collections, coordinating electronic publishing initiatives, and supporting traditional library services (circulation of materials and management of metadata).
The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS), a part of the LIT, is one of the nation’s premier organizations for the creation and support of digital library resources, with production level support for electronic library collections. Staff are responsible for creating online access mechanisms, significant digital conversion activities, and they play a role in the University of Michigan Library’s work on the HathiTrust digital library. Additionally, DLPS staff support image and finding aid collections, and contribute to the Library’s development efforts with many other formats.
Animal Diversity Web is an prominent online database of animal natural history, distribution, classification, and conservation biology founded in 1995 by the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology and supported with successive grants from the National Science Foundation. The Library and the Museum are now collaborating to continue the work of ADW.
DLPS is looking for a talented, resourceful programmer to develop, maintain, document, and monitor software systems and to process batch content updates. The focus of this position is on maintaining and developing the Animal Diversity Web suite of websites and services:
– Maintenance of content including the design and development of automation workflows for batch processing of content.
– Programming to maintain, enhance, and debug existing features of the site.
– System administration
– Migration planning with an eye toward an improved sustainability outlook by leveraging Library and/or other campus resources.
– Composing and maintaining documentation.
– Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field and 3 to 5 years of work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Facility with Linux-based operating systems.
– Creative problem solving abilities.
– Very good analytical and troubleshooting skills.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
– Resourcefulness along with the ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment.
– The ability to do essential system administration tasks in the Unix environment.
– Experience programing with languages such as Python and Ruby on Rails.
– Demonstrated experience programming within content management platforms such as Drupal, Django and Plone.
– Experience with search engine and related code libraries such as Solr and Xapian.
– Experience using version control systems in software development.
– Demonstrated experience with SGML/XML and related technologies and standards.
– Demonstrated experience with database technology such as MySQL and PostGres including database design and implementation.
– Demonstrated experience developing APIs such as RESTful web services.
– Familiarity with batch image processing techniques in applications such as Photoshop and on the command line, ImageMagick.
For more information and to apply, visit http://umjobs.org/job_detail/80262/programmer_for_animal_diversity_web.