The Library Information Technology (LIT) division provides comprehensive technology support and guidance for the University of Michigan Library system, including hosting digital library collections, coordinating electronic publishing initiatives, and supporting traditional library services (circulation of materials and management of metadata).
The Digital Library Production Service (DLPS), a part of the LIT, is one of the nation’s premier organizations for the creation and support of digital library resources, with production level support for electronic library collections. Staff are responsible for creating online access mechanisms, significant digital conversion activities, and they play a role in the University of Michigan Library’s work on the HathiTrust digital library.
DLPS is looking for a talented, resourceful, programmer to process data with an automated workflow by creating, maintaining, documenting, and monitoring software systems. Specific processing tasks include file format conversion, metadata insertion, transformation, validation, and transfer. The person in this position will use and expand the existing set of tools and workflows for digital video. Projects include migration of content from one content management system to another, and the validation and ingest of digital video for the purposes of preservation.
– Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field and 3 to 5 years of work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Demonstrated programming skills in a modern programming language
– Proven experience working successfully in groups
– Facility with Linux-based operating systems
– Great analytical and troubleshooting skills
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Ability to creatively improve workflows and processes
– Experience using version control systems in software development
– Demonstrated experience with SGML/XML and related technologies and standards
– Demonstrated experience with database technology such as MySQL, including database design and implementation
– Familiarity with batch file processing techniques on the command line
For more information and to apply, visit http://umjobs.org/job_detail/80261/data_processing_programmer.