Department: Main Library
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001070
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Vassar College Libraries seeks a forward-thinking and user-oriented Head of User Services to oversee the operations of the circulation, course reserves, collections maintenance, and interlibrary loan departments. Overseeing a unit of 8 union staff, the Head of User Services will work to ensure that these essential user-facing areas are regularly assessed and improved, providing effective and responsive services to meet the evolving needs of the Vassar community.
The Head of User Services will serve as a key collaborator in ongoing efforts to understand and respond to users’ changing experiences throughout the Libraries. The incumbent will assist colleagues in gathering and analyzing user feedback and usage data using a variety of techniques, including focus groups and surveys. The Head of User Services will participate in efforts to conceive and design improvements to users’ experiences of library services and spaces, both physical and virtual; make recommendations for strategically improving library services; and help implement subsequent improvements, paying particular attention to the broad diversity within the Vassar community. The Head of User Services reports to the Director of the Libraries and serves as a member of the leadership team.
- MLS or equivalent degree.
- Minimum 3 years professional experience working in an academic library, in a position that included supervisory responsibilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends in assessing library user experience.
- Experience gathering and analyzing data through both structured and informal engagements with user communities.
- Significant experience using tools for analysis and report writing, such as Excel.
- Commitment to collaboration and the ability to work cooperatively across organizational and disciplinary boundaries.
- Ability to model patience, tact, and good humor in providing user-focused public service.
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a college in which students are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
Required Applicant Documents
Contact Information for 3 References
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references (Word or PDF format required for all attachments). Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
All applicants must apply online at: http://apptrkr.com/826185.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.