DevOps Engineer, New York University Libraries
New York University Libraries is looking for a DevOps Engineer to plan, configure, and manage both in-house and cloud environments. You will also provide technical assistance in a variety of faculty research projects.
The unit is a group of digitizers, developers, designers, and project managers who process, enable access to, and preserve digital materials.
The infrastructure includes:
- CentOS servers, with a few Solaris hosts
- Apache/Tomcat for Java applications
- LAMP stack for Drupal and WordPress
- Ruby on Rails
- MySQL and PostgreSQL databases
- Monitoring via Nagios
- A handful of cloud environments for specific applications
- Mac workstations for digitization
- Local SAN infrastructure for digitization workspace
- Cameras, scanners, and video digitization equipment
Your responsibilities include:
- Plan and implement robust publishing platform
- Implement, tune, and maintain LAMP, LAPP, and Tomcat environments
- Plan and implement redundant storage architecture
- Implement changes to ensure system uptime and disaster recovery
- Compare in-house vs. cloud environments for each service and implement best solution
- Implement system changes for high availability
- Plan, implement, and troubleshoot upgrade of digitization workstations
- Interact with librarians, staff, and scholars as appropriate in support of digital initiatives
For more information about DLTS, see: http://dlib.nyu.edu
Education: Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Experience: Minimum of 4 years’ relevant experience required; preferably experience in higher education in a research library environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Linux administration (any flavor)
- LAMP and Tomcat environment setup and maintenance
- Demonstrated success working in a collaborative environment with technical and non-technical partners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- MySQL and PostgreSQL database administration
- Scripting language (Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP)
- Experience with Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- Experience with cloud hosting
- Drupal platform administration
- Experience installing and maintaining open-source applications, such as WordPress, Omeka, or Open Journal
- Experience providing training or workshops and/or presenting in scholarly venues
- Knowledge of Mac hardware
- Familiarity with video processing
New York University Libraries: Libraries at New York University serve the school’s 40,000 students and faculty and contain more than 5 million volumes. The Libraries supports NYU’s vision to become the first true Global Network University by collaborating and providing services to our global academic centers and “portal campuses” in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai. New York University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the OCLC Research Library Partnership, and the HathiTrust. The Libraries participates in a variety of consortia and collaborates closely with Columbia University Libraries and the New York Public Library through the Manhattan Research Library Consortium. For the NYU Libraries Mission and Strategic Plan go to http://library.nyu.edu/about/Strategic_Plan.pdf
Salary/Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience and background. NYU offers a generous benefit package including 22 days of vacation annually.
To Apply: Interested candidates are requested to submit a letter of application that specifically states how background and experiences are relevant to the position responsibilities and qualifications; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references.
Please apply through NYU’s application management system. Please click on the following link or copy and paste it onto your browser.
Online applications only.
NYU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.