Job Opening: Digital and Web Services Librarian, Temple University
The Temple University Libraries seek a talented, energetic and service-oriented individual for the position of Digital and Web Services Librarian, based in the Digital Library Initiatives Department. Temple’s federated library system serves an urban research university with over 1,800 full-time faculty and a student body of 38,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu. The role of the Digital and Web Services Librarian is two-fold. S/he (1) coordinates the Library’s web presence, working collaboratively with staff throughout the library system. Oversees the development and maintenance of the Drupal-based Library website, as well as its integration with other services like Libguides, CONTENTdm, the library catalog and the delivery of special collections finding aids. (2) Takes a leadership role in developing digital projects and services that serve the needs of faculty and students, particularly in the realm of digital objects publication and management, using tools like Omeka. Coordinates that work with other members of the Digital Initiatives Department who focus on digitizing and delivering Special Collections’ library materials through contentDM. Participates in the gathering and analysis of use data. Maintains in-depth knowledge of standards and best practices in the realm of website development, digital humanities, scholarly use of digital data, scholarly communication and fair use/copyright. Supervises a full-time staff member (who is responsible for the day-to-day development and maintenance of the Library website) as well as student assistants. The incumbent will participate in library-wide activities and committees, and is expected to be active professionally. S/he also will be expected to meet requirements for contract renewals, promotion, and regular appointment. Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
ALA accredited master’s degree in Library Science, and at least two years of relevant experience.
* Experience with a Content Management System like Drupal.
* Experience with metadata standards like Dublin Core, and one or more of the following: HTML/CSS, XML/XSLT, a programming language such as PhP, database design and development.
* Experience guiding scholars, students, and/or staff in the development of digital projects and websites, preferably including the digitization, publication, and management of digital objects.
Required Skills & Abilities:
* Excellent project management skills; excellent team leadership skills.
* Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment, and across multiple departments.
* Understanding of the role of digital projects for the purpose of research and education.
*Awareness of scholarly communication issues and basic familiarity with copyright issues.
* Supervisory ability.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Experience developing and managing large websites, including managing stakeholders’ expectations, and producing ADA-compliant sites.
* Experience teaching the use of platforms like Drupal, Omeka, or WordPress.
* Experience digitizing and editing images, text, video, audio, and other formats and delivering them on the web.
* Experience in an academic library setting.
Competitive salary and benefits package, including relocation allowance. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply for this position, please visit www.temple.edu, click on Jobs@Temple, and reference TU-15996. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.