Teaching & Learning Application Developer, Sr., Penn Libraries
The Penn Libraries’ Teaching, Research, and Learning Services directorate is seeking a creative, experienced developer to join our team. In this role, you will lead the development, monitoring, customizations, integrations, and ongoing maintenance of applications related to teaching, learning and research at Penn Libraries. This includes Canvas, the centrally-supported learning management system used by approximately 24,000 Penn students, faculty, and staff daily, as well as research-related applications and emerging digital scholarship tools. As part of a diverse and capable team within the Penn Libraries, you will write, document, test, and debug code for new and existing applications as well as develop and improve integrations with technical/administrative systems. We seek a skilled collaborator, leader, and self-directed problem-solver able to assess, analyze, research, and design solutions with a team of technical stakeholders representing Penn’s schools and centers in order to lead the group to successful outcomes. Adherence to technical quality assurance, data integrity, and security standards is a must, and candidates who are passionate about programming innovative solutions to advance Penn’s academic mission are strongly encouraged to apply.
* Collaborating with a range of campus stakeholders to develop, document, implement, test, and maintain custom Canvas tools and integrations,
* Performing detailed documentation and analysis of existing technical system architectures and workflows to design new architectures, applications, methods and workflows that better meet the needs of Penn students, faculty, and administrators,
* Leading technical working groups comprised of campus stakeholders to evaluate, enable, test, and recommend new digital tools, platforms, and methods that extend and enhance teaching, learning, and research at Penn,
* Participating in strategic planning for Penn Libraries’ instructional and research platforms, technologies, and tools, and
* Performing other duties as assigned.
BA/BS with at least 3 years of relevant experience developing and maintaining web-based applications, or equivalent combination of education and experience, are required.
Required: Prior experience developing web applications, grounded in solid understanding of HTML, CSS, SQL, and AJAX/Web 2.0 technologies. Thorough understanding of REST and ability to write programs which interoperate with REST APIs in Python, Ruby, Java, or similar languages. Working knowledge of source code management tools like Git or Subversion.
Preferred: Demonstrated experience developing on web application frameworks like Django and Rails. Experience using Bootstrap, developing integrations and tools using the LTI standard, and administering technical operations of a learning management system (LMS) such as Blackboard, Canvas, D2L or Moodle in a university setting are all highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have experience with the Canvas LMS, demonstrated technical abilities, a strong customer-service orientation, and excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
To apply: http://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/17863