Social Sciences and Data Librarian, Vassar College Libraries
Vassar College Libraries seeks creative, collaborative candidates for the position of Social Sciences and Data Librarian. As a member of the Research & Instructional Services department, the Social Sciences and Data Librarian serves as a research consultant, liaison, and collaborator with faculty and students in the Social Sciences departments (e.g. Economics, Anthropology) and related multidisciplinary programs (e.g. Urban Studies). In addition to providing basic collections and instructional support, the librarian serves as a resource for working with data sources common to Social Sciences research, such as IPUMS, ICPSR, and other statistical databases. Furthermore, the librarian collaborates with colleagues in the Library as well as Computing and Information Services to develop expertise and facilities to build capacity for the use of data and analytical methods across disciplines. Successful candidates will be well-versed in creating, interpreting, and manipulating statistical data using tools such as GIS, SPSS, Stata, and/or R. The Social Sciences and Data Librarian also oversees collection development and provides research support for the Government Documents collection.
- MLS or equivalent degree.
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends in social sciences research and pedagogy.
- Significant experience working with social sciences data sources.
- Significant experience working with one or more software tools commonly used to manipulate and analyze data (e.g., SPSS, Stata, GIS applications, R, OpenRefine).
- Commitment to collaboration and the ability to work cooperatively across organizational and disciplinary boundaries.
- Ability to model patience, tact, and good humor in providing user-focused public service.
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a college in which students are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- An additional advanced degree in a social sciences field strongly preferred.
- 2 or more years experience working in an academic library.
- Familiarity with the Federal Depository Library Program. Ability to read Spanish.
Please visit us at https://employment.vassar.edu. To complete your application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references (Word or PDF format required for all attachments). Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
Vassar is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.