Senior Research Data Scientist, University of Virginia Library
The University of Virginia Library’s Research Data Services seeks a Senior Research Data Scientist. The Senior Research Data Scientist will guide the Library’s efforts to broadly serve the data-oriented research needs of science, engineering, and medicine, and will provide leadership to the Library’s university-wide efforts to curate and preserve research data.
Under the supervision of the Lead of the University Library’s Research Data Services, the Senior Research Data Scientist will work closely with faculty and staff within the fields of science, engineering and medicine to identify needs, establish programs, and execute strategic data services that advance the research mission of the University of Virginia. The position will also provide leadership for a team within Research Data Services and build programs to promote data curation and preservation. In addition, the Senior Research Data Scientist will collaborate with multiple stakeholders: to develop and implement policies and procedures governing research data at UVa; to increase awareness of Research Data Services and stay abreast of current and anticipated needs; to assist in science librarianship and promote the distribution of data services throughout the library; and to coordinate with units providing data-oriented services outside the library.
- Managing data curation and preservation initiatives and staff with Research Data Services, including leading the development of data curation workflows and programs, serving as an advocate for data concerns, and actively contributing to library efforts to develop and support data repository solutions.
- Developing data-related services within the library, with a particular focus on those of benefit to science, engineering, and medical researchers, including consulting with researchers on data management, use and preservation, developing or evaluating available solutions to common problems, and providing guidance to researchers on technical issues and infrastructure and local and institutional policies and processes.
- Expanding and promoting training opportunities for data competency skills among researchers across departments and disciplines, working in collaboration with university faculty, including competencies in data management and organization, data sharing and preservation, data curation and reuse, data documentation and description, data security and storage, databases and data formats, and data conversion and interoperability.
- M.S. in science, engineering, or medical research field
- At least 5 years of experience in academic, scientific research, or sufficient involvement in the full lifecycle of a research project to understand the data-oriented needs of the research process from inception to completion
- Demonstrated understanding of data curation practices, including data management planning, sponsored research policies, data documentation, and data archiving and preservation
- Familiarity with the operation of a research university, including administrative experience
- Knowledge of library-based support services and a commitment to building and contributing to a service environment
- Competence in providing instruction and translating technical knowledge to new audiences
- Microsoft Office
- Experience with database management systems (relational or non-relational)
- Ph.D. in science, engineering, or medical research field.
Applicants must apply through the University of Virginia online employment website, Jobs@UVA, at:http://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=73322
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.