Senior Digital Library Applications Developer – Digital Library Initiatives, Temple University Libraries
Temple University Libraries’ software development team is growing! With engaging and exciting projects currently in development and on the horizon, this is an opportunity to work as part of a dynamic team on Open Source projects like Hydra, Fedora Commons, and Blacklight. We seek a creative and innovative individual to fill the position of Senior Digital Library Applications Developer, to work on a range of collaborative projects supporting digital collection search and discovery, repository services, e-journal publishing, and helping grow our participation in the budding Pennsylvania DPLA Hub. Temple University is a vibrant, urban research university with over 1,700 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu/about/. This position may telecommute up to 80% time.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Head of Digital Library Initiatives and working in close collaboration with other developers and colleagues, the Senior Developer develops and maintains the technological infrastructure for digital library projects, which includes preserving and delivering large collections of digital objects with the Hydra repository framework, and supporting digital scholarship and digital publishing initiatives, with platforms like Omeka and OJS. The Senior Developer takes a substantial role in coordinating the development of the digital library architecture as a whole, and thinks strategically about IT infrastructure and software platform choices. Takes a significant leadership role in overall management of projects. Gathers requirements and develops specifications, architects, implements, tests, and deploys projects. When appropriate, contributes the code generated to the open source community. Maintains awareness of developments in the realm of digital library software and infrastructure. May supervise other developers (full-time staff or part-time student employees). Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
BS in Computer Science or related field and 3 years of relevant experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with application development in at least one major programming language like Ruby on Rails, PHP, or Java.
- Demonstrated experience with web-based development and software integration, for instance using REST APIs, and JSON or XML for data interoperability.
- Demonstrated experience with Unix/Linux, including basic administration, shell scripting, working with protocols like NFS and CIFS, and basic data storage management, and authentication and authorization technologies, including LDAP.
- Demonstrated ability to perform effective code testing.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment, and to communicate well with IT and non-IT staff.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear documentation.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with a repository system, such as Hydra, a CMS like Drupal or an exhibit curation system like Omeka.
- Familiarity with digital library standards, such as Dublin Core, MARC, METS, EAD, and OAI-PMH.
- Experience working with Open Source software; experience with version control, test-driven development, and continuous integration techniques.
- Experience managing junior programmers (full-time staff or student workers).
- Experience working in an Agile project management environment.
- Experience with software development in an academic library or higher education setting.
Competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply for this position, please visit www.temple.edu, click on Careers At Temple at the bottom of the home page, and reference TU-19988. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.