Position will perform a major role in the design, software development, and implementation of Sheridan Libraries’ digital collections’ discovery and presentation interfaces as well as associated backend workflows. The position will be responsible for formulating, developing and implementing technological solutions to expose some of Johns Hopkins’ libraries rarest and most unique special collections via the web and to a variety of handheld devices. In addition, the position will be responsible for developing and/or supporting software to support the digitization of this content. The position is located at service-oriented, team-based and result-driven Library Systems department. The position will interact with the Sheridan Libraries’ Digital Research and Curation Center (DRCC) and other library and museum staff.
· Develop framework for exposing rare digital collections’ content, such as maps, digitized books, sheet music, rich text, audio and video, through common platforms for discovery and presentation.
· Design and implement an architecture, including associated API layers, for exposing data from Johns Hopkins’ libraries various repositories and other data stores.
· Develop context-appropriate interfaces specifically suited to handheld devices, including, but not limited to, iPads, DROIDs, and iPhones.
· Develop solutions that work within existing open source infrastructure, including software such as dSpace, Fedora, Blacklight, Rails, Solr, and Umlaut.
· Work with staff, customers, external organizations and open source communities.
· Work across different development teams working on separate collaborative projects.
· Adhere to and use online collaboration tools and change/version control tools to project-widestandards such as site design specs, data storage requirement,
· structured programming techniques, testing results, software/hardware releases and application customization procedures.
· 5+ years software development, including web application front-end development.
· Demonstrated experience developing for web architectures, including software-to-software API production or consumption.
· Experience designing, developing, and/ordeveloping against web services (XML, JSON).
· Solid work experience with Unix/Linux environment.
· Ability and willingness to learn new programming languages and technologies quickly.
· Experience with open source software, especially related to academic application development.
· Familiarity with application developmentlifecycles, project management and quality assurance processes.
· Must be highly service oriented, self-motivated, and possess a team-working attitude with strong and effective communicationskills.
· Experience with library-sector “institutional repository” software and/or working with software that manages library-type metadata.
· Experience integrating disparate products into an integrated user environment.
· Experience with Java web apps and servlet containers (eg. tomcat, jetty).
· A working knowledge of Rails is preferred.
· Experience developing apps or interfaces for mobile devices is desirable.
· Expertise in one of the following programming languages: Ruby, Java.
· Experience with library related technologies such as integrated library technologies, digital library repositories, e.g.Fedora, dSpace. Familiarity with Blacklight open source software or Solr is highly desirable.
· Experience with Agile development methods preferred.
Please note that this is a one-year appointment. To apply, follow this link to the job posting on the JHU employment site: https://hrnt.jhu.edu/jhujobs/job_view.cfm?view_req_id=49120&view=sch.