(Official Title: IS Specialist, Associate/No-prefix)
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is currently seeking a Linux/LAMP Support Specialist for the College of Letters and Science (L&S) and the Golda Meir Libraries.
The staff in the L&S Information Technology Office (LSITO) provide academic and research computing support, web and application development, business intelligence, and media services to support the varied instructional, advising, research, and business functions of campus clients. The Libraries provide access to digital collections and the associated tools for their use in teaching and research.
UWM offers a comprehensive liberal arts, STEM, and professional education at the undergraduate and graduate level to its 28,000 students. The College of Letters and Science is UW-Milwaukee’s largest academic unit, with 25 departments, 46 majors, and many interdisciplinary programs and centers. UWM’s 104-acre campus includes 18 acres preserved as green space and is located just minutes from downtown Milwaukee.
The Linux/LAMP Support Specialist acts as a facilitator for the academic and research computing needs of supported areas, performs tasks related to computing technology support, and coordinates service projects. Activities include providing direct support for and assistance with Linux/LAMP applications, digital publishing tools and platforms, and Linux workstations and servers.
This position provides services to all LSITO-supported areas and the UWM Libraries. It will support faculty projects from many disciplines, specific library clients (Digital Collections, AGSL, Archives), and campus projects associated with these areas (e.g. Digital Humanities).
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- A minimum of 1 year of experience supporting a Content Management System (e.g. Omeka, WordPress, CONTENTdm, Fedora Repository).
- A minimum of 1 year of experience supporting Linux workstations and servers.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Experience with digital humanities research tools and approaches (e.g. text mining, data visualization, image analysis).
- Ability to automate and manage tasks using shell scripts, schedulers, systems management tools, and other automation technologies.
- Experience managing servers, storage, and virtualization systems.
- Experience developing and supporting secure and accessible websites.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals forming many different teams, both inside and outside immediate units.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and willingness to document technical procedures.
- Prior work experience in a higher education setting.
Type of Appointment and Salary:
This is a fixed-term, non-teaching, academic staff appointment. Salary is commensurate with professional qualifications and work experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package covered under the Wisconsin Retirement System.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application that addresses the professional level work experience as it relates to all required and preferred qualifications, a resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information to include postal addresses, e-mail and phone numbers. Applicants must apply electronically to: https://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/24845 by the application deadline date of Saturday, March 12th, 2016.
Employment for this position will require a criminal records review consistent with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act. Questions about this position should be directed to James Kavanagh, LSITO Director, email@example.com.
UWM is an AA/EO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
For the UWM Campus Security Report, see http://www.cleryact.uwm.edu/ or contact the Office of Student Life, Mellencamp Hall 118, at (414) 229-4632 for a paper copy.
The names of nominees and applicants who have not requested in writing that their identities be withheld and the names of all finalists will be released upon request.