Job Posting: Interface Developer at University of Michigan Library
Library Web Systems at the University of Michigan Library seeks a talented and enthusiastic Interface Developer to work on the front end of the library’s Drupal-powered website, VuFind-powered library catalog (Mirlyn), Omeka online exhibit management system, and other library web interfaces. The ideal candidate will have a passion for developing accessible interfaces to web resources, bring a clear sense of design to the job, collaborate with colleagues across the library, and have strong problem-solving skills.
The Interface Developer will work with a team of developers in Web Systems, developers in other areas of Library Information Technology, and the User Experience department staff to bring improvements to accessibility and user experience to the library’s website.
Library Web Systems manages the University of Michigan Library’s web site, the online presence for one of the largest research libraries in the world. The U-M Library’s technology unit designs, develops, and supports the library’s primary web interfaces – including multiple websites, access systems, search apps, and mobile interfaces. These interfaces provide access to over 10 million physical and digital resources to more than 2 million users a month.
More information about Library Web Systems may be found at bit.ly/libwebsystems.
This position is a FULL-TIME, TWO-YEAR term appointment expiring June 30, 2015.
* Ensure that library website meets or exceeds WCAG 2.0 standards
* Consult with other departments in Library Information Technology on accessibility issues
Interface Design & Implementation
* Collaborate with the User Experience department to create and implement complete visual designs, web-ready graphics, and style guides
* Work with developers responsible for the library website, library catalog, online exhibit tools, and other systems to customize and enhance functionality of the sites.
* Develop responsive and/or dedicated mobile versions of web resources.
* Create and maintain project documentation
* Participate, as needed, on project committees.
* May provide advice or assistance to other library units on web accessibility issues.
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience.
* Experience with developing and customizing Drupal themes.
* Demonstrated familiarity with designing to meet WCAG 2.0 accessibility standards
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a development/implementation team in a culturally diverse work environment.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
* Knowledge of current web standards and browser compatibility issues.
* Working knowledge of PHP.
* Experience developing modules and themes in Drupal and/or Omeka
* Working knowledge Ruby/JRuby
* Experience with HAML, SCSS, or similar frameworks
* Familiarity with GIT or similar versioning control systems
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Review of applications will begin on 4/25/2013 and continue until the position is filled.
How to Apply
For full consideration, please include a cover letter with your resume when you apply through UMJobs.org, http://umjobs.org/job_detail/81080/interface_developer. In addition, we strongly encourage you to present work samples via an online portfolio or sent via email to Ken Varnum, Web Systems Manager, at email@example.com.
Questions about the job description may be emailed to Ken Varnum, Web Systems Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org