The University of Michigan Library invites applications for the Associate Director of the Digital Media Commons. The position reports to the Director of the Digital Media Commons (DMC) and is a member of the Learning and Teaching division of the Library, reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Learning and Teaching.
We are seeking an experienced professional who has demonstrated success building and leading teams of specialized digital media and information technology staff, and administrative skills including budget and personnel management. This role requires a commitment to understanding user needs and developing the technical teams, services, and technologies to provide them. The candidate should also have experience in technologies related to creative and media arts as well as information and educational technologies.
This is a newly created position and is a full-time regular, exempt appointment. The Associate Director will support the DMC management team in ongoing operations and services and will help shape the programmatic development of future services provided with DMC resources and staff.
As a part of the U-M Library, DMC librarians and staff are responsible for supporting shared resources that enable students, faculty and staff to incorporate emerging technologies into their learning, teaching and research. These include labs and studios equipped with the latest systems, software and infrastructure for exploring technology-enabled connected learning spaces, 3D virtual environments and data visualization, and advanced creative tools for audio and video production.
- Manage the daily operations of the DMC, working closely with the director and managers. Activities may include personnel, budget management and facilities operations
- Work with users of DMC services and facilities to see that current and potential future needs are understood and planned for. Work with managers to track and report on both use of services and quality of delivery.
- Represent the Library Learning and Teaching Group in selected campus-wide activities and committees.
- Engage in active communications and collaboration with U-M colleges and schools, other IT organizations and administration to develop partnerships, shared resources and common projects.
- Collaborate with library staff engaged in transforming our ability to advance learning through creative uses of technologies.
- Identify opportunities for learning technology innovation, and assess obstacles and potential solutions in support of existing and emerging opportunities.
- Stay abreast of and assess learning technology trends, choices, and evolving user behaviors.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience working on technology integration in learning environments or equivalent amount of related education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse users (e.g. faculty, students, and staff) to develop and nurture cooperative, collegial working relationships with a broad range of constituencies.
- Demonstrated experience managing the development of emerging digital media technologies in changing business processes.
- Demonstrated success in budgeting, project management, and mentoring of technical and creative arts staff.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Experience creating and presenting organizational planning documents
- Experience in use of social networking tools and content
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended. Apply at http://umjobs.org/job_detail/81352/associate_director_digital_media_commons.