Oregon State University Libraries invites applications for a newly-funded, full-time, 12-month, Assistant Professor/Data Management Specialist position.
OSU Libraries seeks a self-motivated individual to establish a robust research data management program at Oregon State University. Reporting to the Head of the Center for Digital Scholarship and Services, the Data Management Specialist plays a central role in developing services and data management plans in support of the OSU research enterprise. The position collaborates with faculty, graduate students, academic units and research center personnel to identify, manage, describe, preserve and make research data available to appropriate internal and external audiences. The Data Management Specialist assists faculty and graduate students with writing data management plans required by funding agencies such as the National Science Foundation. The position identifies and recommends appropriate methods for data storage and retrieval and instructs researchers in contributing to and using data repository systems including ScholarsArchive@OSU.
This is a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor, and the specialist is a member of the University Libraries faculty.
Required qualifications for the position:
* A Masters degree by date of appointment from an ALA-accredited program or a foreign equivalent degree, or a Masters degree in a data-intensive discipline.
* One year of relevant research data management and curation experience in an academic, scientific, or corporate setting.
* An understanding of the research process as demonstrated by academic or work experience.
* Demonstrated knowledge of issues and technical challenges related to data curation and management.
* Familiarity with one or more current scientific data and metadata conventions.
* Demonstrated capacity to work effectively and collegially with faculty, staff and students.
* Willingness to engage in professional and scholarly activities.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Strong service orientation.
* Strong technical skills and problem-solving abilities.
* A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
* Advanced degree in one of the sciences.
* Experience with one or more commonly used data repository platforms (DSpace used locally).
* Experience in an academic library environment.
* Grant writing experience and familiarity with federal funding requirements for data management.
* Experience working with relational databases and XML.
For full consideration, please apply by April 2, 2012.
For the complete job announcement and application materials for the Data Management Specialist/Assistant Professor (Job Posting# 0008673 ) see: http://jobs.oregonstate.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=59982