Reposting: Stony Brook University is still accepting applications for this position.
Descriptive Title: Head of Research and Emerging Technologies, Senior Assistant/Associate Librarian
Budget Title: same as above
Type: Faculty Position
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Closing date: June 2, 2015
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County’s only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
- MLS/MLIS or equivalent from an ALA accredited program.
- Evidence of ability to do research, publication and service consonant with University standards for promotion and tenure.
- At least two years post-MLS full-time experience in an academic or research library.
- Experience providing information, reference and consultation services in an academic or research library.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies for enhancing research services in multiple modalities.
- Advanced Degree.
- Teaching experience in a formal setting.
- Experience with online information resources, emerging technologies and/or information management tools.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities and work collaboratively with others in a team environment.
- Evidence of flexibility and ability to thrive in a complex environment with excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Scholarship and research activities.
- Management and supervisory experience in library or information-related services.
Responsibilities & Requirements
Reporting to the Associate Director for Research and Instruction Services, the Research and Emerging Technologies Librarian will contribute to the University Library’s suite of services, including information and instructional services, scholarly communication and research support services, collection development, liaison and outreach. The selected candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Lead development and continuous evaluation of strategic vision, policies and processes of research services across the organization in support of library and University goals.
- Partner in services and initiatives with campus units (e.g. Undergraduate Colleges, First Year Experience Programs, Athletics, International Student Services, etc.) to integrate research services and appropriate technologies for student success.
- Lead Reference Team in providing face-to-face and online reference and research services.
- Explore and adopt emerging technologies for enhancing research services in multiple modalities.
- Evaluate and implement emerging technologies to enhance learning spaces, and participate in space planning for learning spaces in the library.
- Apply learning theories and knowledge of educational technologies to develop and support the creation of instructional modules, online learning objects, and other materials for library users.
- Provide appropriate training.
- Assess user needs and improves service.
- Manage relevant statistics and reports.
- Manage reference collection in all formats.
- Participate in research, publication, teaching and service consonant with University standards for promotion and tenure.
- Participate in professional activities and monitor developments in best practices elsewhere to help ensure the excellence of Stony Brook University Libraries research and instruction services.
- Coordinate outreach events and initiatives.
- Manage Research Commons services, facilities and staff.
Note: This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible. Applications will close on June 2, 2015.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume/CV to:
Pamela DiPasquale, Senior Staff Assistant
Library Director’s Office
Melville Library, Room W-1511
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-330
Fax: (631) 632-7116
To apply online, navigate to this listing and use the resources box at the bottom of the page to submit materials.
About the Libraries
Stony Brook Libraries are known for a wide-range of print and digital resources and world-renowned special collections. The Stony Brook Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The Libraries’ collection exceed two million volumes, including e-books, print and electronic holdings of scholarly journal subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU Libraries include six distinct facilities, including Melville Library, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Math/Physics, Southampton and Health Sciences Libraries. The University’s Libraries stand as the largest academic research library on Long Island, serving as a resource in the local community, state-wide, and nationally through the National Network of the National Libraries of Medicine.