Descriptive Title: Head, Academic Engagement
Budget Title: Senior Assistant/Associate Librarian
Type: Faculty Position
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Stony Brook University has established itself as one of America’s most dynamic public universities, a center of academic excellence and a leader in health education, patient care and research. Listed among the top 1 percent of all universities in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Stony Brook is home to more than 24,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff, including those employed at Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island’s premier academic medical center and teaching hospital. With 603 beds, Stony Brook Hospital is the region’s only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory.
About the Libraries
Stony Brook Libraries are known for a wide-range of print and digital resources and world-renowned special collections. The Stony Brook Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The Libraries’ collection exceed 2 million volumes, including e-books, print and electronic holdings of scholarly journal subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU Libraries include 6 distinct facilities, including Melville Library, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Math/Physics, Southampton and Health Sciences Libraries. The University’s Libraries stand as the largest academic research library on Long Island, serving as a resource in the local community, state-wide, and nationally through the National Network of the National Libraries of Medicine.
- MLS/MLIS or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited program.
- Minimum of two years of full time experience as a librarian in an academic or research library.
- Experience with instructional design concepts.
- Teaching experience.
- Effective planning, organizational, and project management skills.
- Second advanced degree in relevant field.
- Experience in team leadership.
- Experience with assessment of instruction and student learning outcomes.
- Experience teaching in a variety of settings, including physical and virtual environments.
- Library public service experience.
- Knowledge of information literacy competency standards and practical applications.
- Ability to use emerging technologies effectively to deliver information literacy instruction.
Responsibilities & Requirements
The Head of Academic Engagement will act as the lead librarian in the Library Instruction Program to design, implement, and evaluate library instruction programs and services. The Head of Academic Engagement will report to and work closely with the Associate Director for Research and Instructional Services. The selected candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Act as lead instructor. Coordinate all activities related to the design, implementation, maintenance and assessment of SBU Libraries’ Instruction Program. Coordinate Instruction Team; articulate Program policies and procedures; train members; hold regular meetings.
- Provide leadership and vision for library instruction initiatives.
- Develop program goals and explore new instructional theories and pedagogical practices.
- Partner and seek connections with academic and non-academic offices and departments to identify and address library instruction needs and opportunities.
- Plan and coordinate workshops. Oversee workshop publicity. Work with selectors on liaison work with teaching faculty to improve student learning and course objectives related to library research.
- Work with Web Librarian to create/maintain Instruction web pages and forms.
- Manage creation and updating of tutorials, videos, handouts, and other learning objects.
- Manage Instruction Program information in various university and library publications, and any libguides that fall under the Instruction Program. Maintain and expand library’s presence on Blackboard.
- Oversee daily operations of Instruction Program, such as scheduling of classrooms, communication with teaching faculty, statistics.
- Prepare and submit monthly statistics and annual reports.
- Assign library sessions to Instruction Team members.
- Act as point person for technology and other Instruction Program issues with appropriate internal and external offices (Library Electronic Resources, DolT, Registrar, etc.)
- Supervise support staff on all aspects of Instruction Program, including request processing, classroom maintenance, statistics, publicity, etc.
- Coordinate marketing and publicity related to Instruction Program events and initiatives.
- Maintain current awareness of and share expertise on teaching pedagogy, instructional technologies, information literacy, and assessment.
- Participate in reference service and collection development.
Scholarly and Service Responsibilities:
- Engage in scholarly and professional activities.
- Participate in library and university service.
Note: This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Occasional night and weekend work is required. The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume/CV to:
Stony Brook University Libraries
Health Sciences Library
Health Sciences Tower, Level 3, Room 142
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8034
To apply online, navigate to this listing and use the resources box at the bottom of the page to submit materials.