The University of Michigan Library in Ann Arbor is one of the largest university library systems in the United States. In locations all over the Ann Arbor campus, MLibrary holds more than 8.5 million volumes. Each year, the University Library adds the equivalent of 2.5 miles of new material to one of the finest and most comprehensive collections of any academic library in the world. Our seminal role in digitization enabled the creation of HathiTrust, a coalition of nearly 70 libraries with a growing digital collection that currently exceeds 10 million volumes.
The Digital Media Commons’ Emerging Technologies Group provides support for the specialized labs and studios at the University of Michigan Library. The Integration Specialist will be responsible for developing and maintaining systems for implementing innovative solutions that meet the needs of the users of the studios and specialized labs. This includes, but is not limited to: managing highly customized multi-boot and virtualized systems; support media applications-specific technology infrastructure; building high throughput systems for capturing and delivering video and audio content; and responding to user requests and resolving lab/studio issues. This individual will work to support the programs of the labs, which mirror closely the professional and research technology environments in subject disciplines and professional career tracks. The Integration Specialist will work closely with studio and lab supervisors/managers to manage and support the highly specialized spaces and unique software packages used by students and faculty in these customizable learning and research labs/studios.
- Maintain and administer media application-specific production systems, particularly high-speed content processing and file management infrastructure serving the Audio, Video, and Electronic Music Studios, Multimedia Workrooms, teleconferencing facilities, visualization spaces, and academic learning innovation spaces (e.g. Design Labs, Faculty Exploratory, Knowledge Navigation Center, Tech Deck etc.)
- Assist in the development of solutions for new Library sponsored programs and spaces.
- Evaluate and develop solutions that will integrate emerging technologies and processes into the larger Library operations
- As a member of the Emerging Technologies Group, work with other Library units to serve and support the advanced technology labs and workspaces shared by multiple Library groups and patrons
- Create and execute integration plans, document results, and support implementation with minimal disruption to operations.
- Help supervise and train student consultants that support the facilities supported by the Emerging Technologies Group.
- Serve as resource for the 1st and 2nd tier user support staff of the Emerging Technologies Group, Clark Library, and Academic Technology Group.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or computer science and 2 or more years of work experience in administering, securing and maintaining critical systems; or an equivalent amount of related education and experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in supporting infrastructure and advanced systems for large media creation and research applications workstation installations.
- Considerable experience administering Windows and Linux based systems, with some experience supporting OS X servers/clients.
- Considerable experience using UNIX-based command-line administrative tools.
- Experience consulting with both end-users and technology service providers in support of creation and delivery of new media and computing services.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Ability to work well in multicultural and collaborative environment.
- Superior organization, prioritization, self-motivation, and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with the University of Michigan computing environment.
- Experience managing large systems with extensive media assets.
- Experience working on technology integration in learning environments.
- Some experience training colleagues and student staff.
- Some experience with XSAN/SAN system management.
- Some experience deploying and managing systems in a data center environment.
- Familiarity with Google collaboration tools including Gmail, Calendar, Sites, Documents and others.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply: http://umjobs.org/job_detail/85488/emerging_technologies_integration_specialist