Working Title: Director of Services and Operations, HathiTrust
Title/University Classification: Program Manager/Senior Associate Librarian
The full posting, including application instructions, can be found at Director of Services and Operations, HathiTrust
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
HathiTrust Digital Library has an opportunity for a collaborative, creative, and service-focused individual to manage and develop its collection access and preservation programs. HathiTrust is a growing partnership of research and academic libraries that are working together to ensure permanent access to the record of human knowledge. Founded in 2008, HathiTrust includes over 110 members worldwide, who together support a certified trusted digital repository holding 13.6 million digitized volumes, including more than 6.8 million unique titles and 640,000 US federal documents. The HathiTrust Research Center, based at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and Indiana University, develops and offers services supporting advanced computational research using the HathiTrust collections. The ideal candidate for this position wants to participate in the transformation of research libraries and in the continued development of a world-class, cooperative digital library program.
The Director of Services and Operations (DSO) has primary responsibility for the operations and services of the HathiTrust preservation and access repository, overseeing the day-to-day management of HathiTrust’s core services to users and members, defining priorities for teams that manage HathiTrust’s core infrastructure, and driving the development of related policy and standard processes. The DSO manages the development process and oversees service enhancements for the HathiTrust’s repository and collection programs. The DSO will work closely with HathiTrust governance and advisory groups, such as the Program Steering Committee, and will identify issues requiring their attention and serving as a resource to them.
The DSO reports to the Executive Director of HathiTrust and serves as a critical member of the HathiTrust team, supervising staff, coordinating with supporting service providers at several member libraries, and representing the organization nationally and internationally as needed. This position is based at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.
- Manages delivery of HathiTrust’s core collection services, including preservation, discovery, access, and user and member support.
- Oversees the development of policies, processes, and specifications that relate to these areas.
- Supervises staff, and serves as the primary liaison with managers at Michigan, California Digital Library, Illinois, Indiana, and other members responsible for HathiTrust’s cyberinfrastructure and web services.
- Develops and reviews service level agreements as needed.
- Sets priorities for technical and service development, working closely with infrastructure managers and relevant governance bodies to do so.
- Participates in the development of the strategic agenda for HathiTrust’s programs and infrastructure.
- Leads, staffs, or serves on project teams, task forces, advisory groups, and standing committees as part of HathiTrust’s operational and governance structures.
- Supervises HathiTrust staff, which may include interns.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- For appointment as a librarian, an ALA-accredited master’s degree, or a relevant advanced degree is required.
- Previous experience developing and managing a substantial digital collections/content program.
- Substantial experience with project and process management.
- Deep knowledge of trends, research, and best practices in some of the following areas: repository development and management, digital preservation, collection analysis, discovery services, large scale digitization, metadata management, security, scholarly publishing.
- Experience working in and/or leading successful cross-functional teams within an organization or as a virtual organization across multiple organizations.
- Record of creativity, innovation, and problem solving in execution of previous jobs.
- Capable of clear and persuasive communication with a variety of specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Supervisory experience
- Exceptional service orientation, including a commitment to services for users from diverse backgrounds with different needs and abilities.
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
- Experience in managing service or product development teams.
- Experience with agile service or product development techniques.
- Experience with full-text search services.
Benefits, rank, salary:
Appointment is anticipated as a program manager, or a senior associate librarian. Salary and rank dependent on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Librarian appointments carry with them increased expectations regarding professional development, professional engagement, research, and service, in keeping with the library’s process for librarian promotion and advancement.
The University of Michigan offers excellent benefits and wellness opportunities.
This position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
Review of applications will be begin October 1 and continue until the position is filled.
Twitter Handles: @UMichLibrary, @hathitrust