Digital Library Developer, Vassar College Libraries
APPLY AT: http://employment.vassar.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=52105
The Vassar College Libraries seek a collaborative, entrepreneurial, and experienced professional for the position of digital library developer. We are looking for a creative problem-solver with a passion for libraries who enjoys the design, development, and implementation of technical solutions that will bring our digital scholarship and library technology services to new levels. The incumbent will work alongside faculty, student, librarian, and IT colleagues across campus and within open-source communities on projects that advance research, teaching, and learning. This position is an excellent opportunity for a self-starter to develop applications and enhance functionality for digital scholarship, discovery, and repository services.
The successful candidate will be a critical team member of the Digital Scholarship and Technology Services Department, creating and maintaining applications (particularly web applications) that provide current services and make feature-rich new ones come to life. Our department provides digital scholarship, digital library, repository, and technology services to the Libraries and the College and closely collaborates with IT and academic computing groups on campus. We strive to provide excellent digital services and collections to the Vassar community and beyond.
Invited candidates will be asked to supply a portfolio or links to relevant work and sample code (e.g., GitHub).
- Bachelor’s degree and two or more years work experience in an academic or research library environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing web applications with commonly used digital library coding languages, such as Ruby, PHP, MySQL, XML, or Python.
- Experience with Drupal, WordPress, or similar open-source content management system.
- Familiarity with the Fedora Commons repository system and access layers (e.g., Islandora, Hydra).
- MLIS, MIS, or equivalent degree.
- Familiarity with web server configuration (specifically Apache and Tomcat).
- Experience working with common digital library or digital scholarship applications and tools (e.g., Solr, Blacklight, D3.js, Neatline).
- Familiarity with linked open data concepts and techniques (e.g., RDF, triplestores, SPARQL)
- Experience working with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services/EC2.
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.