Digital Humanities Developer, Columbia University Libraries
The Digital Humanities Developer will provide technology support for digital humanities-focused projects by evaluating, implementing and managing relevant platforms and applications; the Developer will also analyze, transform and/or convert existing humanities-related data sets for staff, engage in creative prototyping of innovative applications, and provide technology consulting and instructional support for Libraries staff.
This new position, based in the Libraries’ Digital Program Division, will work on a variety of projects, collaborating closely with the Digital Humanities Librarian, the Digital Scholarship Coordinator, other Libraries technology groups, librarians in the Humanities & History division and project stakeholders. The position will contribute to building out flexible and sustainable technology platforms for the Libraries’ DH programs and will also explore new and innovative DH applications and tools.
The successful candidate will have great collaboration and communication skills and a strong interest in developing expertise in the evolving field of digital humanities.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in, computer science or a related field, with demonstrable experience in the humanities, a minimum of three years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Advanced degree in computer science or a related field, or an advanced degree in the humanities or related field; experience in one or more of the following areas: natural language processing, text analysis, data-mining, machine learning, spatial information / mapping, data modeling, information visualization, integrating digital media into web applications; experience with XML/XSLT, GIS, SOLR, linked data technologies; experience with platforms used for digital exhibits or archives.
- Evaluate, implement and manage web and related software applications and platforms relevant to the digital humanities program
- Analyze, transform and/or convert existing humanities-related data sets for staff, students and faculty as needed
- Engage in creative prototyping and model innovative technology solutions in support of the goals of the Digital Humanities Center
- Provide technology consulting, guidance and instruction to CUL staff as well as students and faculty as required
- Conduct independent exploration of technology issues and opportunities in the Digital Humanities domain
For more information and application:
Columbia University is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.