Deputy Director, Office of Digital and Information Strategy, Institute of Museum and Library Services
OPEN PERIOD: Thursday, November 5, 2015 to Friday, November 20, 2015
SERIES & GRADE: AD-0301-00 Deputy Director Office of Digital and Information Strategy
SALARY: $126,245.00 – $158,700.00
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time Excepted Service (This is an Administratively Determined position under the authority of 20 U.S.C. Section 9105(b). Competitive Civil Service is not acquired under this appointment.)
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: AD-0301-00 (Equivalent to the GS-0301-15)
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy – Washington DC Metro Area, DC
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: All Qualified Candidates
The Institute of Museum and Library Services, an Executive Branch agency, is the primary source of Federal support for the Nation’s 123,000 libraries and 35,000 museums. The Institute works at the National level, in coordination with state and local organizations, and with libraries and museums throughout the United States to carry out its mission of connecting individuals to information and ideas.
- This position is open to all qualified candidates
- Please read all instructions to ensure that you are applying correctly.
- The individual selected may be subject to a background security investigation.
As the leader of the Digital and Information Strategy team at IMLS, this individual will be the single point of contact to the agency’s leadership as a visionary thought leader of where and how to take information management; data collection, storage, and analysis; and new media and technology within the agency. This person will have strong knowledge of the current and emerging technologies in information management, data collection and standardization, and the technologies of new media. This person will also be an excellent leader who can contract, hire, build and motivate a team of internal and external high-performing hires. In addition, they will be a collaborator who will work with stakeholders across the IMLS, as well as with IMLS’s community, to develop innovative and effective strategies and plans.
The position reports to the agency Director and the incumbent will be responsible for leading, developing, implementing and overseeing the integrated policies, programs, and objectives for the agency’s technology and digital strategy, data collection and analysis, and web/new media activities. This position has direct oversight managing the Office of Chief Information Officer (OCIO) and the Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation (OPRE). The successful individual should be passionate about new technology trends, will continuously research new IT technologies, will be a thought-leader and evangelist for the application of technology and data collection to further the agency’s goals both internally and through grant-making programs to libraries and museums. In addition, he/she will serves as a resource to support other divisions and create a work environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation. The incumbent will seek opportunities for growth and change, exploration of new ideas, methodologies and alternatives to reach agency outcomes. This will require the introduction of new concepts and strategies that significantly improve or revise the way the agency uses information technology, applies digital tools/new media, and collects and manages data.
The successful individual will be an experienced, energetic, highly skilled leader of strategic IT investments and processes, new media development and associated content management tools, and data collection and management. He/she must have experience in developing external, user-facing tools and content and building and sustaining internal IT capabilities, training, and support.
- 5-8 years of experience developing and implementing technology, data management, and new media strategies and tools to drive communications, collaboration, decision-making, and business performance.
- Adaptable and persuasive presentation skills to effectively communicate with public -facing stakeholders and technical and policy audiences
- Experience working with government agencies
- Experience in managing (hiring, leading, retaining, motivating, etc.) a team of diverse individuals across multiple disciplines.
- BS/BA in computer engineering, information technology, data management, or related field
Knowledges, Skills and Abilities Required by the Position:
- Strategic thinker with the ability to effectively oversee implementation of relevant programs and operational activities
- Ability to work across diverse work streams, build cohesive strategies across the agency, and deeply understand user and business requirements
- Demonstrated exemplary leadership skills in managing up, down and across the organization and in driving good decision-making and team-work
- Working knowledge of technologies related to role, both new and emerging
- Ability to lead new development, prototyping, and user testing of technology tools
- Fiscal skills, risk management abilities, project and program management expertise
- Demonstrated ability to create business and implementation plans for technology investments and associated training and support
Preferred background in:
- Philanthropic or social science data collection, research, mining, and analysis
- MBA or other related Master’s degree
- Business development experience
- Current E-learning technologies
- CRM systems
BENEFITS: This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees. http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/ei61.asp The below links provide quick access to some of the many benefits currently offered to Federal employees:
Flexible Spending Accounts – The Federal Flexible Spending Accounts Program (FSAFeds) allows you to pay for certain health and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. For additional information visit: https://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
Health Insurance – The Federal Employees Health Benefits Program offers over 100 optional plans. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave – Most Federal employees earn both annual and sick leave. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance – The Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance Program (FEGLI) offers: Basic Life Insurance plus three types of optional insurance, for additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance – The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) provides long term care insurance for Federal employees and their parents, parents-in-law, stepparents, spouses, and adult children. For additional information visit: http://www.ltcfeds.com/
Retirement Program – Almost all new employees are automatically covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan. The three tiers are: Social Security Benefits, Basic Benefit Plan, Thrift Savings Plan. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
OTHER INFORMATION: The IMLS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities TTY/ASCII users should use the toll free Federal Relay Service number: 1-800-877-8339 and provide the IMLS number of the office or individual you are calling. For more information about using the Federal Relay Service see: http://fts.gsa.gov/frs/tollfree.htm.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Writing Sample(s)
-For Veterans: DD-214-For Disabled Veterans: DD-214, SF-15 and VA letter dated 1991 or later
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Director, Office of Human Resources
View full position announcement here: https://www.imls.gov/sites/default/files/public_notice_excepted_service_-_deputy_director_of_digital_and_information_strategy.pdf