Department Head, Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship
The University of Arizona Libraries, Digital Innovation/Stewardship (Dept. 1705)
Classification: Administrator/Appointed Professional; Full-Time; Exempt
Location: Main Campus, Tucson
The University Libraries seek a dynamic, innovative Head of the Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship (ODIS), a position with the primary responsibility of providing leadership and strategic direction for digital innovation and stewardship within the broader context of the strategic plans of the University Libraries and the University of Arizona. ODIS provides a broad range of services including digital collections, data management, campus repository, metadata, journal hosting and publishing, copyright and scholarly communication, open access, and geospatial data. In overseeing several areas of strategic importance, the Department Head must be forward thinking and willing to take strategic risks in the development of services. The Department Head will be a member of the Libraries Cabinet (leadership, policy and management team) and reports to the Vice Dean of Libraries.
The Department Head of ODIS will be responsible for leadership, management, and planning for the services and functions of the Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship, which includes 8 FTE permanent professionals and a large team of students and temporary employees. ODIS members work collaboratively, engaging the strengths and knowledge of all members of the department. The Department Head will coordinate and facilitate leadership currently in place among ODIS faculty and staff. As UA librarians have faculty status, the Department Head is responsible for coaching and guiding librarians through the promotion and continuing status process. The Department Head will also be responsible for ensuring that department planning furthers the strategic goals for the Libraries and campus.
This is a continuing-eligible, academic professional position. Incumbents are members of the general faculty and are entitled to all accompanying rights and privileges granted by the Arizona Board of Regents and the University of Arizona. Retention and promotion are earned through achievement of a record of excellence in position effectiveness, scholarship, and service.
The Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship (ODIS) at the University of Arizona Libraries engages and innovates across a range of services and content in support of the University’s mission and strategic plan. ODIS provides services to the University community that encompass data management, campus repository, metadata, journal hosting and publishing, copyright and scholarly communication, open access, and geospatial data. ODIS is responsible for programmatic planning and oversight of the Libraries digital collections and digitization activities, including digital preservation and digital asset management efforts. ODIS coordinates strategies for exposing unique and local digital collections. ODIS also leads and contributes to a variety of national and international collaborative efforts, including TRAIL (Technical Report Archive and Image Library) and the Afghanistan Digital Collections. ODIS is active in campus-wide efforts related to scholarly activity and research data, participates in the University’s Research Computing Governance Committee, leads the institution’s faculty activity reporting efforts, and collaborates with the University’s Office of Research and Discovery, and University Information Technology Services. In this process, ODIS collaborates with faculty and staff throughout the University Libraries and across campus.
The University of Arizona has been recognized on Forbes 2015 list of America’s Best Employers in the United States and has been awarded the 2015 Work-Life Seal of Distinction by the Alliance for Work-Life Progress! For more information about working at the University Libraries, see http://www.library.arizona.edu/about/employment/why.
Diversity Commitment: At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. Diversity in our environment embraces the acceptance of a multiplicity of cultural heritages, lifestyles and worldviews. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies, as we believe that such experiences are both institutional and service imperatives. Because we seek a workforce with diverse perspectives and experiences, we encourage applications from individuals with demonstrated knowledge of and relevant abilities working with culturally diverse communities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs.
Relocation Services: Accepting a new position is a big life step. We want potential candidates and their families to be able to make informed decisions. Candidates who are considering relocation to the Tucson or Phoenix area, and have been offered an on-site interview, are encouraged to use the free services offered by Above & Beyond Relocation Services (ABRS). Ask your department contact to be introduced to ABRS prior to your visit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides dynamic and entrepreneurial leadership for full integration of ODIS services and initiatives to expand its impact within the Libraries and across the University of Arizona community.
- Works collaboratively with members of the department to build relationships and pursue synergistic opportunities across campus, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Provides an environment for ODIS to innovate and experiment with services to meet campus needs.
- Manages a suite of budgets totaling approximately $1 million in personnel and services.
- Fosters professional development of staff to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing environment; actively supports a workplace culture that values and promotes a partnership and service philosophy.
- Works in collaboration with others in the Libraries and across campus, to provide programmatic planning for and oversight of the Libraries digital collections and digitization activities, including digital preservation and digital asset management efforts.
- Works closely with the University Press to develop new and innovative digital publishing efforts.
- Works closely with campus units to establish partnerships in support of efforts to capture, steward and share the scholarly record and research outputs of the University.
- Participates as a member of the Libraries’ senior management team (Cabinet), representing ODIS needs and perspectives on Cabinet as well as contributing to organization-wide decision making.
- Assesses and communicates the impact and contributions of ODIS to the Libraries, University, and beyond.
- Anticipates, initiates, and responds to changes in the environment, and keeps abreast of trends that impact higher education and the library profession to ensure that the Libraries and the University achieve their goals.
- Embraces ambiguity in a changing environment and is committed to continual professional development, improvement, and learning.
- Master’s degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited institution; or other relevant advanced degree.
- Substantial leadership and management experience in an academic research environment or equivalent.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Collaborative leadership with impeccable integrity.
- Initiative, optimism, flexibility, and follow-through.
- Ability to identify opportunities and capitalize upon them.
- Ability to advocate, influence, and persuade others.
- Excellent analytical, time management, organizational, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of current trends in academic research libraries and services.
- Knowledge and understanding of current trends in the use of scholarly activity data, bibliometrics, and integrations with other campus data.
- Knowledge of data management and data management planning.
- Knowledge of current trends in scholarly communication and open access.
- Knowledge of library and university press publishing programs and strategies.
- Knowledge of digital preservation practices in libraries and archives.
- Knowledge of digitization workflows and practices.
- Successful project management experience.
- Active scholarship and professional service sufficient for appointment at the Associate or Full Librarian level.
Salary/Benefits: DOE; full benefits. Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Opened: 01/12/2016. First Review of applications begins on 02/15/2016. Closes: Open Until Filled. Applying by the first review date ensures your application materials are reviewed.
To Apply: Go to The University of Arizona’s job board and application system and search for Job # A20528 or quicklink tohttp://uacareers.com/postings/7947. Be prepared to attach a resume and letter of interest that describes how your experience and qualifications are fitting for this position. Application materials mailed/emailed to the department will not be accepted. The UA conducts pre-employment screenings for all positions, including work history, academic, criminal and driver’s license checks. For questions regarding The UA Careers application system contact: 520-621-3662; TDD 621-8299 (M-F 8-5). For questions about the Libraries or status of the posting, contact Glenda Hendrickson, Library HR, 520-621-6429 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Arizona is an Equal Employment Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer-M/W/D/V.