Job Opening: Digital Preservation Archivist, MIT Lincoln Laboratory Knowledge Services
MIT Lincoln Laboratory (MIT/LL) has pioneered in advanced electronics since its origin in 1951 as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Lincoln Laboratory research focuses on advanced technology to problems of national security. Archival collections relate to the Laboratory’s mission areas: space control, air and missile defense technology, communication and information technology, IRS systems and technology, advanced electronics technology, homeland protection, and air traffic control. As a member of the MIT/LL’s Knowledge Services Sector, you will work with a team of information and IT professionals to explore, adapt, recommend, implement, and support digital records initiatives including those to improve and assure long-term access. The Knowledge Service team is currently looking to develop infrastructure for a scalable digital preservation repository system. As such, we are looking for a passionate, creative, articulate, and experienced digital preservation champion to join our team and facilitate strategic and project planning for our digital archives.
Under the direction of the Archivist and Knowledge Services Team Leadership, the Digital Preservation Archivist will:
· Work closely with the Archives, Knowledge Services, IT staff, and other experts to research, define, and maintain an ongoing preservation program, based on best practices and established standards, for Laboratory collections of value in digital formats.
· Work with Archives, Knowledge Services, IT staff, and other experts to research, test, specify, and implement technology for a sustainable digital preservation repository system which will meet the ongoing management, access, and preservation needs of the Laboratory.
· Enhance digital preservation project plans, workflows, and policies for archiving of and long-term access to the Laboratory Archives digital collections.
· Promote the Archives and digital preservation program through briefings, digital and social media.
· Recommend, implement, and provide leadership for proposed digital preservation projects.
· Provide training, support, and documentation for digital preservation projects.
· Serve as an advisor for Knowledge Services, Information Services Department and our constituents on digital preservation; including maintaining current awareness of new technologies and initiatives in the field.
· Appraisal, arrangement, description, and basic preservation for Laboratory historical records.
· Support Archives operations and participate in other related work as assigned.
· ALA-MLS/MLIS and a minimum three years’ progressive experience working in an archival repository or library on digital resources projects in a leadership role.
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience with open source digital repository systems and related technology including audit/fixity software, file forensics, media conversion, and editing metadata for digital objects, especially METS and PREMIS.
· Proven experience with project management, outreach and marketing.
· Ability to effectively convey and explain information clearly and tactfully.
· Demonstrated ability to build consensus and promote the exchange of information among project team members, project management staff and elsewhere.
· Demonstrated ability to work calmly and effectively in situations under pressure and to manage time effectively in a changing environment.
· Must be able to obtain DoD Security Clearance (normal procedures, see below)
o SECURITY: Personnel working at the Laboratory are required to have a DoD Security Clearance to the SECRET level. In some instances personnel cleared CONFIDENTIAL may work at the Laboratory pending the issuance of further clearance. Proposals should indicate the clearance status of each person proposed. All personnel are required to have United States Citizenship.
· Experience handling classified documentation.
· Working knowledge of Java, PHP, SQL, and Web Services (e.g. SOAP, REST)
This position is located in Lexington, MA, and applicants for the above position must be able to obtain and maintain a government security clearance. To view complete descriptions and apply please visit
www.ll.mit.edu/employment and search using Req. #. 3506
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to realizing our vision of diversity and inclusion in every aspect of our enterprise. Due to the unique nature of our work, we require U.S. citizenship.