Job Opening: Databrary Project Systems Architect, New York University
Databrary (http://databrary.org) is a web-based data library where scientists who collect and analyze video can store and share their data openly with other researchers. Databrary’s leaders, based at New York University and Penn State, have been funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) to create Databrary, improve an existing free, cross-platform video coding and analysis tool (http://openshapa.org), and build a desktop lab/data management tool to make data sharing easy and convenient. The goal is to accelerate the pace of discovery in psychology and developmental science and improve scientific transparency and accountability.
Databrary seeks a visionary, entrepreneurial systems architect to lead the project, steer its design, and hire and manage the development team. Candidates should have 5-8 years of software development and management experience as a solutions architect, systems architect, project manager, or test manager.
- Designing and developing a new web-based tool for sharing large research data sets.
- Maintaining and improving an existing desktop analysis tool.
- Designing and developing a desktop data management tool to integrate video analysis with a web-based video data library.
- Building a small team of developers to execute the above. Writing position descriptions, and conducting interviews.
- Mentoring and providing leadership for junior development staff.
- Defining software development methodologies and practice.
- Experience developing in a modern MVC based web development framework (Django, Rails, Tower.js etc).
- Experience as a technical team leader, project manager, or systems architect.
- Prior development experience in Java and or C/C++.
- History of active contributions to open source projects.
- Established track record of shipping reliable software products.
- Experience developing cross-platform applications for Windows and OSX.
- An understanding of configuration management practices using Chef or Puppet.
- Experience with video playback/transcoding tools such as FFmpeg and VLC.
- Experience working with large research data sets.
Salary range competitive with senior level positions plus full NYU benefits, including health and tuition remission.
Send the following to Lisa Steiger (email@example.com) at the Institute of Human Development & Social Change:
- One page cover letter (PDF).
- Academic transcript of your formal qualifications (PDF).
- Links to your open source contributions.
- Resume (PDF).