The Temple University Library is seeking a creative and energetic individual to fill the newly-created position of Senior Digital Library Developer in the Digital Library Initiatives Department.
Reporting to the Head of the Department and working closely with other members of the Digital Library Infrastructure Group, the Senior Digital Library Developer will play a leading role in designing and implementing the overall architecture, workflows, and applications for Temple’s digital library services.
* Working with open-source applications and toolkits, design and implement a multi-purpose repository infrastructure that supports the ingestion, preservation, and delivery of digital objects, in accordance with the OAIS model, and with attention to TRAC’s recommendations.
* Provide specialized front-end interfaces to the repository for both digital object creation and end-user delivery, by using, adapting, and extending open source and commercial applications.
* Design and implement efficient pipelines to extract, transform and repurpose metadata and digital objects as needed.
* Gather requirements and develop specifications for various aspects of the digital library architecture; work closely with digital object creators and managers to understand their needs.
* Test, evaluate, and recommend potential toolkits and applications for inclusion in the repository architecture.
* Collaborate with the Library Technology Services Department as well as Campus-wide Computing Services, to ensure proper management and use of mass storage clusters, and proper implementation of security guidelines and authentication/authorization policies.
* Maintain digital library architecture, troubleshooting issues whenever they arise.
* Maintain awareness of community-wide developments in the realm of digital library software and infrastructure.
* As the opportunity arises, contribute to the development of Open Source and Community Source applications.
* Write and maintain documentation for overall architecture and code.
* May supervise junior programmers (part-time student employees or full-time staff).
* Serve on the Digital Library Infrastructure Group.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
BS in Computer Science or related field, and at least two (2) years of relevant experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated experience with web-based development in a programming language such as Java or Ruby on Rails.
* Demonstrated experience with web-based software integration, for instance using RESTful APIs.
* Demonstrated experience with Unix/Linux, including basic administration, shell scripting, device management, working with protocols like NFS, CIFS, and Webdav, and basic data storage management.
* Knowledge of current web development standards, including cross-platform compatibility, ADA compliance, and security.
* Demonstrated ability to perform effective code testing.
* Strong organizational skills, and ability to manage projects involving a small-to-medium staff team.
* Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to write clear documentation.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate well with non-IT staff.
* Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service.
* Experience with software development in an academic library or higher education setting.
* Experience with managing digital object identifiers, delivering digital objects to end users (including Jpeg2000 delivery, page turning viewers, audio/video streaming), and working with authentication and authorization technologies, including LDAP.
* Knowledge of XML/XSLT, and a scripting language like PHP.
* Experience with metadata extraction, transformation, and repurposing
* Familiarity with digital library standards, such as, Dublin Core, MARC, METS, EAD, and OAI-PMH.
* Experience with a repository system like Fedora or Dspace.
* Familiarity with CONTENTdm and a Web-based Content Management System like Drupal would be a plus.
* Experience working with Open Source software; experience with version control, test-driven development, and continuous integration techniques, using tools such as Git and Hudson
* Experience managing student workers or full-time staff.
* Experience working in an Agile project management environment.
About Temple University
Temple’s federated library system serves an urban research university with over 1,800 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu.
Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.
1. please go to should go to http://www.temple.edu/hr/departments/employment/jobs_within.htm
2. click “Non-Employees Only”
3. go to “Search by Job Number” at the bottom of the page, and enter “TU-15077″ in the text box.