Job Opening: User Experience Designer – University of Michigan
The User Experience (UX) Department at the University of Michigan Library is seeking a talented and enthusiastic UX Designer. The ideal candidate will be able to create beautiful and usable interfaces, have a passion for understanding users, strong problem solving skills, and be invested in improving the library web experience. The UX Designer will focus on interface design but also take part in the full range of departmental duties, including user research/usability, accessibility, and web analytics. The UX Designer works in a collaborative team environment and participates in all stages of development – from concept to implementation.
This position will be a FULL-TIME, TWO-YEAR term appointment with the possibility of renewal.
Interface Design 60%
- Create concept sketches, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups, and html prototypes.
- Create complete visual designs and web-ready graphics.
- Conduct ongoing research into the development of new interface capabilities, enhancements, and user-centered design trends.
User Research 20%
- Design and conduct user research/usability studies using a variety of techniques (e.g. formal/informal usability testing, online surveys, card sorting, interviews, observations, focus groups, participatory design).
- Conduct regular web analytics to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Conduct web accessibility audits.
Project Management & Communication 20%
- Help scope, plan, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Communicate project priorities and goals with project stakeholders, developers, and library-wide staff.
- Create and maintain project documentation.
- Participate, as needed, on library committees. May provide advice or assistance to other units within the University Library regarding user research or interface issues.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and training or experience in information technologies. An ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library or Information Science, or an equivalent combination of a relevant advanced degree (e.g., Graphic Design, UxD, HCI) and experience is required for appointment as a librarian.
- Excellent interface design skills with a strong understanding of user-centered web design principles, typography, composition, and color theory. Experience creating complete interface designs and web-ready graphics.
- Experience creating concept sketches, flow diagrams, wire frames, and mock-ups.
- Proficiency with graphics software and prototyping software (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, Omnigraffle, Visio)
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a team.
- Experience designing and/or evaluating library systems or other complex websites.
- Experience designing and/or evaluating mobile interfaces.
- Experience with a variety of user research/usability methods.
- Familiarity with web accessibility standards and coding techniques.
- Experience with HTML/CSS and knowledge of more advanced front-end technologies.
- Experience with web analytics analysis.
- Knowledge or experience with SEO.
Benefits, rank, salary
Appointment is anticipated as a Web Designer Senior or as a librarian. Salary and rank dependent on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Librarian appointments carry with them increased expectations regarding professional development, professional engagement, research, and service, in keeping with the Library’s process for Librarian Promotion and Advancement (www.lib.umich.edu/li…pointment-librarians).
Professional positions receive 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
How to Apply
To be considered we strongly encourage you to present work samples via an online portfolio or sent via email.
Questions about the job description may be emailed to Suzanne Chapman, Head of the User Experience Department, at email@example.com.
For more details and to apply online, visit: http://umjobs.org/job_detail/65627/user_experience_designer.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.